School History

Charles Kingsley's School is a Church of England Primary School for children from four to eleven years of age.

The original building, Eversley School, was founded in 1853, largely due to the efforts of Charles Kingsley, the author of the "The Water Babies". He came to the village of Eversley in 1843 as a curate, and was concerned that no labourer in the village could read or write.

The school was soon acknowledge as one of the best in the area and children from neighboring parishes were allowed to attend on payment of 2d. per week.

Over the years the school has increased in size and further classrooms have been added.

The school now has Church of England Aided Status which means that it is owned by the Diocese but is given financial and educational support by the Local Education Authority. This allows the school to function within the Authority while remaining faithful to its original Church of England Foundation.

Picture of school football team

Charles Kingsley's School Football Team in 1927

 

 
Click here tp go back